What's been updated lately/ What's new:
- Added a link to my favourite poem, "High Flight". In the links section.
- Added a link about a bunch of psycho British guys who did horrible things to a
poor little 486 :) Find it here
- Added a new link on the music page about Freddie Mercury.
- Added a new link to my friend dreal's poetry page, in the links section. Check it out!
- The music page has been rewritten, and now
includes a more complete set of compositions that I've been working on.
- A long discussion of Australia's recent move towards net blocking
and censorship has been added to the main page.
It's scary that the government can destroy the (legally nonexistent)
rights of its citizens so easily, especially in a presumably free country.
- Additional information regarding the use of the strtype.h header file
has been added to the code page.
- There's a good C++ library reference on the links page now.
- strtype.h, an enhanced version of the ANSI
C++ ctype.h has been added to the code page. It
permits the checking and case conversion of characters within string
variables as well as in conventional char variables.
- Now to start adding some features to string.h :)
- There's a new entry up on the main page,
- A short discussion of local IP resolution has been added to the ideas page.
- The original upload of the compiled version of rpage 1.00a3.web1 was
broken. It's fixed now. The encoder is coming along really nicely.
- Both this page and the archive page have
been standardized with the other pages on the site. New graphics! :-)
- I added some SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) related
links to the links page.
- Macintosh programming and development links also added (I went on a
Mac development information rampage the other night..)
- Another new program has been posted on the code
page. This time it's a program that given a string, realistically
generates typo combinations from it.
- As promised, there's now a code section on
the site. There's currently one program there, but expect the selection
to grow in days to come, as I have quite a few more programs that I'd like
- I've made extensive updates to navigational links site-wide,
including links back to the main page on every page, and I've added code
and ideas links to the bottom nav-bars, reflecting new additions to the
- I added a new section to the site, called ideas. I've been having a lot of interesting ideas
lately, which I don't have time to do as much as I'd like with, so I
thought I'd make them available in case anyone would like to develop them
further. The page can be found here.
- I also added two new Powerbook related links to the links page.
- Another mac link added to the links page,
this time with a picture of a very rare clear SE. I'm in a nostalgic mood
- I added a link to a really cool electronics resource. You can find
it at the top of the links page. Well worth
- I've been writing a lot of code outside of work lately. Nothing
incredibly significant, but interesting netherless, so I think I'll make a
code section on here and make it more widely available. Look for it soon!
I've been working simultaneously on 3 projects. The largest is an
alphanumeric encodation system for 20 character numeric pagers, such as
the Motorola Flex series. So far I've written the numerical decoder, and
I'm in the midst of writing encoder code. The second project is a
byproduct of a larger parser program that I'm writing. It indexes first
occurrences of two-letter combinations on text file lines, which speeds up
searches for text in large files where random access systems are inviable
due to variable record length. The third program is another byproduct.
Given an input string, it realistically creates typo combinations for the
string, using a relatively rudimentary weighted network based on the
positions of keys relative to one another on the qwerty keyboard. So far
it supports letter mis-strikes on rows of letters, and mis-strikes between
rows. I'm expanding it to include letter exclusion (wih - with),
inversion, (wtih - with), and accidental addition (witjh - with). This
program is going to be useful as part of the previously mentioned fault
- There's a new entry up on the main page,
which I composed between classes. Enjoy!
- I added a cool new link to the links page.
It's very interesting, and well worth checking out. Go along and create
some nodes (you'll see what I mean when you load it).
- Added a new (long) entry to the main page
talking about the work and research I do. If you have any questions,
please feel free to ask me, and I'll be happy to answer them if I can.
- I'm not going to bother announcing archive additions anymore. In
general, if there's a new entry up, you will be able to find the previous
ones by going to http://lumiere.net/~fib/archive.html, or clicking on the
[archive] link at the very bottom of the main page. It seemed somewhat
redundant to announce them each time I put up a new entry.
- I added some convenience back links from the Think Different script page that I created some
time ago. It makes navigation a little easier.
- I added a large number of new links to the links page. Lots of technically oriented sites,
although the link describing predictions for military weapons in 2025 may
be of wider general interest.
- Finally got around to writing a new
entry on the main page, and archived the 4.5.1999
entry in the archive area.
- Added a link to the complete set of Apple's Think Different ad
campaign, at the Think Different page.
- Oh, and I know that I've been slack in adding new content to the
front page lately. School has been occupying more of my time than I'd
like. I'm thinking of cataloging a portion of my bookshelf, as I noticed
recently just how unusual and eclectic my book collection really is. An
example: Widder's Advanced Calculus sits next to Everyday Magic, which
sits next to Flux Linkages and Electromag.. wow, if I go any further I'll
have written an entire entry. Expect it soon!
- Added a few new IRC channels to the about
me section of the site.
- Added a new thought to the main page.
I've been a little lazy about adding new content lately, but I'm hoping to
change it every one to two days from now on.
- The thought from 2.16.1999 hasn't been archived yet. Technical
problems on the IRIX box here are preventing me from doing so. It should
be there soon though.
- Added a neat link to a list of dictionary sites. Very
interesting to browse through.
- I transcribed the script of Apple's
recent "Think Different" ad.
It impressed me as much as the original 1984 ad, as it seems to legitimize
a lot of the stuff I've done in my life that couldn't be classified as
'conventional' by any stretch of the imagination!
- Added a link to Textfiles in
the links page. Textfiles is an archive of over
9000 text files that date from the 1970's and 1980's world. If you read
my intro text on the main page, I think you'll
grasp how excited I am to find a site of this nature. Well worth looking
- Added two additional links as well. The first is to the UCR Gamma Ray Telescope, a joint project
between UCR and NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab. The second link points to the
Gutenburg Project a fabulous collection
of digitized classical literature and documents. It's a pretty well known
site, but I thought I'd pass it along anyway.
- Added a new thought (ambience) to the main
page. It's a little more random than some of my previous ones. I'm
not really feeling in a very linear mood today though, so that'd probably
- Archived the old thought from 2.10.1999 in the archive page.
- Fixed some very minor formatting issues in the about me page.
- Made some minor formatting changes in the archive. It looks a little bit clearer now.
- Added an INTERCAL link to the links page
- Fixed some tags on the main page to make it a little more windows
happy. Windows? Happy? :)
- Added a new thought/rant to the main page.
- Archived the thought from 1.28.1999 in the
- Added another channel to the list in about
- Added a little to my music page.
- Added a link to this page from the main one.
- Added email address / update date to bottom of archive page.
- Created this page to track page changes.
- the main page was updated with a new
- archived thought from 1.20.1999.
- art was updated with an additional piece of
information on the ladder picture.
- links page had a broken tag on the PGP link
- about me page had a new section added
regarding possible CS minor.
- Added an update to the projects page regarding recent modifications to
the HeNe laser project.
- Updated the main page with a new thought.
- Created the thought archive, because the
impermanence and immediacy metaphor I'd created to justify deleting each
previous entry stopped seeming valid.
- archived thought from 1.05.1999.
- cataloged the contents of my backpack on the main
page. This entry is now in the archive.
Please note: This page was created on 1.28.1999. Entries tracking page
updates before this date may be incomplete or innacurate.
about me | projects
music | trashing
| "art" | links | contact | work | ideas |
code | changes